Ms. Marianne Dioso, also of NCPAM, presented the SARAH approach in the PMP:
Affordable and accessible,
Rational use of medicines,
Accountability and transparency of health players, and
Healthcare systems that are adequate.
She started with a quote from Dr. Alran Bengzon, a former DOH Secretary, saying that drugs and medicines are the key component of the Philippine healthcare system. Then showed these data:
- P124 billion pharmaceuticals market (2010)
- 40 percent of total health expenditures
- 30 percent of PhilHealth reimbursements
- 10 percent of DOH budget
- 10 to 12 percent of total pharma market accounted for by the public sector
- 70 percent of the P124 is accounted for the MNCs by value, and 60 percent by the national companies (NCs) by volume.
The FDA is monitoring not only good manufacturing practices (GMP), but also good storage (GSP) and good distribution practices (GDP). There is also the "generics only" prescription policy in the public sector, covering physicians in government hospitals and clinics. And FDA will have a "generics fast lane" to fast track the entry of more new generic players.
RUM also covers antimicrobial resistance (AMR) program, truthfulness in medicines promotion, prescription audits, rational prescribing and dispensing guidelines.