Sunday, May 23, 2021

Energy 143, IEA embraces darkness economics

The ecological socialism agenda has shown their power once again with strong sway over the International Energy Agency (IEA).

IEA: Net-Zero Goal Means No More New Oil And Gas Investment Ever 
By Tsvetana Paraskova - May 18, 2021, 9:00 AM CDT

The IEA’s Latest Proposal Is Both Reckless And Impossible
By Cyril Widdershoven - May 18, 2021, 7:00 PM CDT

Ban All New Gas Boilers By 2025 Say IEA 
By Paul Homewood   MAY 18, 2021

Net Zero by 2050   A Roadmap for the Global Energy Sector (224 pages)

On page 20 of the report, this is summary of their ecological socialism agenda -- by 2021 no new coal plants, no new oil and gas fields; by 2030 phaseout of all coal power plants in rich countries, by 2040 phaseout of all other coal plants even in poor countries, by 2050 solar-wind must constitute 70% of global electricity generation. The other 30% from where, biomass, geothermal, hydro? Note that there is zero mention of nuclear power.

Implicitly supporting Darkness Economics, IEA pretends to be ignorant that the real "dirty energy" are candles which the poor buy if there is no electricity. More candles, more fires. Also animal dung (methane emission) or firewood (heavy smoke) for cooking instead of using LPG. 
See Climate 101, Degrowth and Darkness Economics, Fr. Villarin lecture, May 15, 2021.

A good article from Reuters, there is pushback from some Asian governments.

Asia snubs IEA's call to stop new fossil fuel investments 
Yuka ObayashiSonali Paul  May 20, 2021  9:35 AM PST

...Akihisa Matsuda, the deputy director of international affairs at Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), said the government has no plans to immediately stop oil, gas and coal investments.

"The report provides one suggestion as to how the world can reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050, but it is not necessarily in line with the Japanese government's policy," he said.

"Japan needs to protect its energy security including a stable supply of electricity, so we will balance this with our goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2050."

Asia snubs IEA’s call to stop new fossil fuel investments 
By Paul Homewood  MAY 20, 2021

Other related stories: 

Think Gas Shortages Are Bad? Buckle Up
Jason Isaac   May 18, 2021

And Elon Musk is pushing to make gasoline-using cars become expensive via carbon tax so that his "no carbon emission" kuno electric cars would appear artificially cheaper. This is like FirstGen pushing to make coal power plants become expensive via higher excise tax, soon carbon tax, so that their "low carbon emission" kuno gas power plants would appear artificially cheaper.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk renews call for carbon tax
'It's not like we shouldn't have carbon-generated things, there should be a price on this stuff,' he recently said on a podcast.
by Louis Casiano May 13, 2021

Elon Musk Demands a Carbon Tax
Eric Worrall  May 15. 2021

"a call for a carbon tax is a heartless attack on poor people, an admission the alternative to fossil fuel is too expensive to thrive without government coercion."

See also:
Energy 140, Texas blackouts, wind turbines frozen, February 21, 2021 
Energy 141, Carbon-methane-nitrogen tax, environmental damage of RE, March 09, 2021 
Energy 142, Earth Day, Miscellaneous energy articles, April 28, 2021.

No comments: