Arpee started with historical and philosophical evolution of the concept of human rights (HR), from thousands years BC to the present.
Other notes from Arpee's lecture:
1. HR's four main characteristics:
Universal, Inherent, Inalinable, and Indivisible.
Universal Declaration of HR (adopted since 1948)
1. Hi Arpee, do other people have “human rights” over my (or your) income and savings?
If No, thank you. If yes, on what basis, why, and how much?
2. Re “environmental rights” leading to higher fossil fuel taxes to “protect the environment/planet”, don’t farmers, harvesters, fisherfolks, truckers, etc also have human rights to cheaper oil, energy?
3. Is “non-poverty” or zero poverty a human right?
If No, good. If yes, how about those who are lazy, or industrious and work 7 days a week but also party and drink 7 nights a week and have zero savings, they deserve subsidies?
4. Re mandatory vax, currently implicit mandate via discrimination, since govt and pharma manufacturers have no liability and accountability if sickness and death happens after vax, if companies force their employees to be vaxxed, will they have liability?
If No, why? Any law/s that protect them from culpability?
If Yes, what laws specify their culpability re financial and personal damages?
5. If in doubt re lockdown vs econ dislocations, mandatory vax, the Constitution prevails, especially the Bill of Rights. Right?
2. Complicated topic. Other example is mining.
3. Implicitly Yes. 4Ps pre pandemic, Ayuda during pandemic.
4. (My internet goes bonker, got disconnected, did not hear his ans. Out of town and using only Globe data)
5. A judicial matter.
Arpee is a product of UP (undergrad) and Ateneo (law), bad combination and likely to be socialist minded. But Arpee is also practical and has FNF bearing of freedom, thanks.
A socialist would answer my Qs above as:
And I will debate a socialist anytime. ;-)
Thanks for the good talk, Arpee.
Pol. Ideology 78, Milton Friedman and China, October 26, 2020
Pol. Ideology 79, Paul Krugman leftism, January 03, 2021
Pol Ideology 80, Capitalism reset, liberal democracy, September 10, 2021.