Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cyber Security, Scammers Hacking Our Email Ads

Scammers and thieves hack people's email address, then they invade the contact list and send a blast email saying that they are in Nigeria or London or elsewhere on a sudden foreign trip, then they got robbed, they need money, etc. It's a common scam, I've received dozens upon dozens of such emails from friends and my friends would later say, "I did not even leave Manila on those days".

Today, a scammer has hijacked the email add of my friend, the past President of the World Association for Soil and Water Conservation (WASWC), Dr. Samran Sombatpanit. See the email exchanges below.
------------

From: Samran Sombatpanit <samran_sombatpanit@yahoo.com>
To: samran_sombatpanit@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:12 PM
Subject: Terrible Trip

Hello,

I really hope you get this on time. I didn't tell you about my travel to Spain for an 

urgent research program, but unfortunately i was robbed at the hotel where i 
lodged along with other people in the hotel. I didn't bring my phone here and the 
hotel telephone lines were disconnected during the incident. 
So we apparently have access to only emails, very awful I must say. 
Please I'm going to need some sort of loan from you for me to relocate to 
another hotel close to the embassy and also get myself another flight ticket. 
Those thieves made away with my credit cards as well which is why this can't be 
resolved instantly. As soon as i get home I would refund the money. 
The Embassy and Police have failed to be effective in this matter, besides paper work 
would cost us days I can't afford. I'll let you have the details you'll need in sending 
money through Western Union if you can help. 
Thank God i still have my passports, so I'm waiting for your mail.

Regards,


Dr Samran Sombatpanit / Song ShanLang  
Advisor & Membership Coordinator, WASWAC & Adjunct Professor, Guangdong Institute 
of Eco-Environmental and Soil Sciences (GIEESS), Guangzhou, China
67/141 Amonphant 9, Sena 1, Bangkok 10230, THAILAND 
Phone: +66-25807354, 66-25607341,
 samran_sombatpanit@yahoo.com; 
http://waswac.soil.gd.cn www.waswac.org


From: Noysky Oplasky <noysky_oplasky@yahoo.com>
To: "samran_sombatpanit@rocketmail.com" <samran_sombatpanit@rocketmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: Terrible Trip

Hi Doc Samran,

Is this you writing or your email was hacked by some thieves?
This is a typical story, that a person was robbed somewhere in Africa, Europe, etc. and he needs money and whoever replies will be given the bank account of the thieves.

Am sure you are ok, best regards.

Nonoy


From: Samran Sombatpanit <samran_sombatpanit@yahoo.com>
To: Noysky Oplasky <noysky_oplasky@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: Terrible Trip

Dear Nonoy,

Thanks a lot for your response to my present ordeal, its a devastating condition which 
i found my self.I left for Spain to attend an urgent Program before this unpleasant 
 incident happened.I have loosed everything on me,all i need now is little cash to settle 
my hotel bill and get a flight back home. Please,kindly help me out of here, I promise 
to reimburse the money back to you immediately i get back. 
This is really urgent as it as kept me in a devastating condition.


From: Noysky Oplasky <noysky_oplasky@yahoo.com>
To: Samran Sombatpanit <samran_sombatpanit@rocketmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: Terrible Trip

Dear Samran,

If it's you really writing this, please answer these questions.

1. What's my full name, my wife's name?
2. When did you host me in Bkk? How many days?
3. Who else did you host when we were there?

Thank you.


Samran Sombatpanit <samran_sombatpanit@yahoo.com>
To: Noysky Oplasky <noysky_oplasky@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: Terrible Trip

Dear Nonoy,

Thanks for been cautious. I'm really freaked out at the moment and i need an urgent 
help from you. Your name is Nonoy Oplas and your wife is Ella Oplas.


From: Noysky Oplasky <noysky_oplasky@yahoo.com>
To: Samran Sombatpanit <samran_sombatpanit@rocketmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: Terrible Trip

Thanks for answering questions no. 1 (but not really correct).
how about questions no. 2 and 3?

Your English is also not so good, Doc Samran's English is perfect.
Try again, answer questions 2 and 3.

Nonoy


From: Samran Sombatpanit <samran_sombatpanit@yahoo.com>
To: Noysky Oplasky <noysky_oplasky@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: Terrible Trip

Nonoy- help if you really want to.
---------

I did reply to his last email. The scammer is probably desperate. 

So guys, don't believe these scams when you receive similar emails from some friends. Secure also your passwords, get strong ones that are hard to guess or hack. 


Oopps, I have not changed my password for a long time now, time to do so...

No comments: